In most people’s mind, a camping chair is a portable seat with a strong cloth attached to wooden frames. Well, this is just the basic set up of an average camping chair. There are thousands of choices that one can decide to buy, but comfort should also be a determining factor. The most important step to take is to identify the need for a camping chair; the second step is to recognize the form of camping that you are going to undertake. Not all camping chairs can be used for all conditions. For example, a chair that is ideal for the wild will not perform well on a day out on the beach.
Comfort is arguably one of the most significant factors to consider in a good camping chair. Camping is an exhausting pastime and after a day maybe hiking or swimming, you would like to rest on a comfortable chair, with adequate back support. A comfortable chair should also have enough ventilation to protect you from the elements of a hot day as well as from the cold.
Best Camping Chairs in 2019 Reviews
Durability, ease of use, storage, and ones packing size are also equally important when it comes to settling on a camping chair that will suit your needs. For example, if you prefer to travel light without too much baggage, a small sized chair will suit your needs perfectly. These chairs are worth considering when shopping for a good camping chair.
- 10. Browning Camping 8525014 Strutter Folding Chair (Regular)
- 9. ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
- 8. Moon Lence Ultralight Folding Chairs Heavy Duty Camping
- 7. Kingcamp Moon Leisure Lightweight Camping Chair
- 6. Picnic Time Portable Folding ‘Sports Chair’, Purple
- 5. ALPS Mountaineering Leisure Folding Camp Chair Pro-Tec Powder
- 4. ALPS OutdoorZ King Kong Chair
- 3. ALPS Mountaineering Escape Chair
- 2. Sport-Brella Recliner Chair: 3-Position Recliner W/ Full Coverage
- 1. ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
10. Browning Camping 8525014 Strutter Folding Chair (Regular)
The Browning Camping chair is quite an adaptable seat that can be used indoors or outdoors, and for various events. Be it a trip to the woods, a barbeque or a sporting event; the Browning chair will not disappoint. During hot days, this seat can be expanded to allow for a more improved wind stream, to avoid it getting all sticky. Its steel frame can support weights of up to 800 pounds, making it ideal for everybody. It is also a collapsible seat making it easy to pack and carry around, while it is also very light in weight and not bulky to move around. Also included is a carry strap which enables a camper to carry it like a backpack.
- The seat is not made to be very durable, and some customers complained that the seams ripped apart on the very first use.
9. ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
This is a camping seat that was built with durability in mind. It is made from a highly patented steel frame and can carry weights of 800 pounds without straining or rip off at the hems. For convenience, the chair comes with two cup holders, and storage pockets located on both arm rests, within easy reach. In case you need extra storage space, there are additional meshed pockets at the back of the seat. The back rest is quite sturdy and can be rested on without fear of toppling over.
- The only small setback for this seat is its smell when it’s new. It has a strong brand-new-carpet-smell that can be an issue to some.
8. Moon Lence Ultralight Folding Chairs Heavy Duty Camping
This is a highly rated seat due to its ability to combine soft comfort and sturdiness. Its weight is also incredible at only 2 pounds making it one of the lightest chairs in the market. The frame of the Moon Lence camping chair is made from aluminum while its cloth is 1000D Oxford material. Despite its light weight, it can accommodate weights of up to 242 pounds with relative ease. It is a foldable chair with netting that makes it breathable and convenient for those hot days. This seat is ideal for hiking, mountaineering or backpacking as its weight will not bog you down.
- The only issue with this seat is that it tends to sink when setting up on soft ground. This can be remedied by placing stones on the each chair’s legs.
7. Kingcamp Moon Leisure Lightweight Camping Chair
The Kingcamp Moon Leisure seat has a very attractive design and is very light in weight as well. This fact does not compromise its sturdiness though. The frame is made from a long-lasting iron material, while the sitting area is made from a durable polyester fabric. This Kingcamp chair can carry weights of up to 260 pounds without any strain. The armrests are padded for extra comfort, and the seat has some storage area at the back for an assortment of items. For easy packing and carrying around, the chair can be easily folded.
- A customer had an issue with the carrying bag which tore and ultimately a screw to assemble the seat got lost in the process. Apart from that, there are no major problems with this seat.
6. Picnic Time Portable Folding ‘Sports Chair’, Purple
The Picnic table is a 300-pound capacity chair that is packed with a lot of features. The frame used to make this chair is aluminum which is quite durable whereas it folds and is equipped with adjustable shoulder straps for easy portability. It also has a wide 420D nylon seating area with padding for extra comfort. On the side of the chair, there is a multi-pocket panel which also has an insulated beverage holder for snacks and other personal items. Also included is a side table which folds to enable you to put your drink down.
- The only setback for this seat is that when folded, it does not get very small, meaning it will take up a bit more space. This is most probably due to all the additional features.
5. ALPS Mountaineering Leisure Folding Camp Chair Pro-Tec Powder
The frame of this seat is made from a powder coated Pro-tech steel frame while the sitting material is made from 600D polyester fabric. It is a chair built to last and was designed with camping and hiking in mind. It has excellent sturdiness and can hold weights of up to 300 pounds comfortably. Another great feature with this chair is that it can be folded easily and it comes with its own carry bag for easier storage and portability. It also has a cup/bottle holder.
- The front of the seat feels a bit too tall compared to the back, by about 2 inches making it slightly uneven.
4. ALPS OutdoorZ King Kong Chair
This is a three-legged camping chair which does an excellent job of supporting up to 250 pounds of weight. Due to its tri-leg feature, the seat folds very easily, and it also comes with a carry bag for easy storage and moving around. It is a relatively light weight stool despite the fact that it is built using a powder coated steel frame. The sitting area is reinforced with a support system to be able to hold the above-mentioned weight.
- With continued use, the middle seating area tends to sag with time while the side support can get a little uncomfortable to the legs.
3. ALPS Mountaineering Escape Chair
The unique feature of the ALPS Escape chair is that it comes with a removable foot rest which makes sitting on this chair very comfortable. The light weight of the chair makes it easy to haul around, and it can support weights of up to 225 pounds easily. The sitting area has been constructed using 600D polyester which makes it extra strong and adds to the comfort. Its ability to fold easily, coupled with its carry bag which comes with straps, makes it an ideal chair for the outdoors.
- Some concerns have been raised about its quality, with one customer pointing out that it broke just after 3 months.
2. Sport-Brella Recliner Chair: 3-Position Recliner W/ Full Coverage
Sport-Brella recliner camp chair is packed with great features that come in handy whether you are spending a day in the woods or any other place like on the beach. Firstly, the chairs’ seat can recline in the event one would want to take a nap and can be easily pulled back up to its normal position. Secondly, the chair comes with an umbrella to protect you from the harmful effects of UV rays. Thirdly, it is equipped with cup/bottle holders that can accommodate up to 4 drinks at a time. This is in addition to the standard features found in other chairs.
- Despite the good sturdy build and impressive additional features, this camping chair is not very durable and falls apart quite easily. This means it should be handled with care.
1. ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
This is a highly stable and supportive chair which makes a great camping chair. The frame of this chair is made from sturdy steel and enhanced with a powder coating to give it that smooth finish. It supports weights of up to 300 pounds, while the chair weighs in at 6.8 pounds. The seat has been built with a short leg design, and that is the feature it owes its stability too. A tech mesh fabric component is also incorporated into the seat for breathability during those scorching days.
- The short leg design was an issue with some tall customers, as seating on this camp chair made them feel a bit awkward. Same case applied with customers who met friends who had taller chairs.
The notion of compromising comfort when it comes to the outdoors is now a thing of the past, thanks to the fantastic range of camping chairs now available. It is now possible to get the comforts of your living room out there in the wild, and in harmony with Mother Nature.